Thursday, January 7, 2010

No $$ Needed

You do not need a gym membership or fancy exercise equipment to get into shape. You can achieve your goals, if you are willing to put in the work, using your own body as resistance. Fitness is free.

I feel I should start this post with a disclaimer. I am not a fitness professional. I am not a medical professional. I am not a member of any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces. I am blogging my own personal journey and what works for me and what has worked for me in the past. You should consult your physician before beginning any exercise program.

There, now that I have that out of the way I want to show you something.



The gal in that picture is me...many years ago. (and yes I dyed my hair back then) This picture was taken outside the barracks while I was on a "rec" period during my first year of summer encampment at Camp Dawson, in Kingwood, WV.

I was trying to get the guy in the pic to turn around so my fiend, who had a crush, could snap the photo. I wish I had been wearing shorts and a tank top in this picture so you could see the muscle definition, but you'll just have to trust me.

I was "cut" and in the best shape of my life. I was one of a handful of female R.O.T.C. cadets and I could keep up with the best of the "guys" and even roll quite a few of them in the dirt. I had never stepped foot in a gym, or lifted a weight (other than hay bales) in my life. I got that way with good old fashioned exercises that do not cost a dime.

I'm not going to try to describe all the exercises I used back then. You can go here for the calisthenic exercises used by the U.S. Army. Will you get the same results as a body builder? No, but you can get fit and tone this way and who can beat free?

As a stay at home mom my family does not have the extra money to spend on gym memberships,a Bowflex, or home treadmills. Yes, a gym membership is great. I LOVED having a personal trainer at the gym when I was in my early 20's. I enjoyed my student Y membership, and I would love to have a home gym. You can achieve beautiful results with professional equipment and training. But, if your goal is weight loss and fitness you can also achieve those goals with nothing more than a good pair of shoes. I did it many years ago and I'm going to do it now.

Yesterday I:

Drank 4- 6 oz glasses of water
Completed miles 1,2, and 3 of The 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk
Completed 10 girl push ups
Completed 50 sit ups

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I definitely need a free way to get in shape. This will help me change up my exercise program so that all of my body gets a good workout. Thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more! Gym memberships and specialized equipment can be fun and convenient, but are definitely not necessary.
    That's a great picture of you... it gives you a great visual for your goals!
    I like the saying: If you WANT to, you will find a way... otherwise you will find an excuse. That's so true, even with exercise. :-)
    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete