Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Perfection

Yesterday I came to a realization that may make all the difference in the world for me.

You see I'm a perfectionist. There, I said it out loud for the world to hear. The problem with being a perfectionist is that I am NOT perfect. Far from it. Being a perfectionist means that when I start a "plan" and slip up I immediately feel like a failure and must start over. I leave no room for mistakes. You know, the mindset that says, "Hey I ate this forbidden snack cake for breakfast so I might as well eat this Big Mac and Fries for lunch, and because I've done that I might as well eat chips and drink soda all day because I've blown it." "I'll just start over next week." Except when next week comes I will not be perfect then either.

So many of us fall into this trap when dieting. We think that if we make one mistake we might as well forget it for the day. The thing is, nothing says if we make one bad choice we no longer have the right to choose. I think this has finally clicked for me. I am determined to no longer feel like a failure because of one bad choice.

I drank a soda at lunch today. Guess what? I'm drinking my water now. Would it have been better for me to have skipped the soda? Definitely, but it would have been worse to have eaten my husband's Devil Cremes too because I had already blown it. I'm going to log off after my son wakes up and exercises. One soda will not ruin my day!

Yesterday I managed:

2-16 oz glasses of water. (half of my 64 oz goal)
1 mile of Leslie Sansone's 5 Mile Fat Burning Walk

1 comment: